On May 31, 2023, Viasat completed its acquisition of Inmarsat, combining the teams, technologies and resources of the two companies to create a new global communications partner. About Viasat
Viasat is a global communications company that believes everyone and everything in the world can be connected. With offices in 24 countries around the world, our mission shapes how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the world communicate and connect. Viasat is developing the ultimate global communications network to power high-quality, reliable, secure, affordable, fast connections to positively impact people's lives anywhere they are-on the ground, in the air or at sea, while building a sustainable future in space. Chief Operations Office
The Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 9 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security and Group IT
The Product Owner, networks and voice role is a key position responsible for implementing owning the network and voice strategy and managing all functions including operations for enterprise users. This role takes full accountability for evolving the cloud first strategy and directing and managing the network and voice team.
The role is accountable for ensuring the network and voice solutions are designed, planned and implemented and then continually available to Inmarsat at the best possible price and influencing the adoption and consumption of those services to deliver required performance and availability. The role will require strong stakeholder engagement working with multiple teams, architecture designs and security requirements to deliver at the highest quality. Continually review industry and market trends and the Inmarsat needs and capabilities to develop and maintain a clear roadmap for the development and retirement of services is an important aspect.
The role will identify, define and sponsor necessary Infrastructure led change to keep the corporate network and voice services up to date and ensure benefits are realised. The role will also be expected to proactively identify and adopt automation throughout the IT Operations space and look to identify disruptive solutions and service capabilities to help drive a transformation culture.
In moving to a more automated manner for application delivery and support this role will be instrumental to ensure the success of a Product Based culture with an emphasis on automation.
QUALIFICATIONS Key Responsibilities
Knowledge & Experience
- Owns and drives strategy from a design and architecture perspective, working closely with the Corporate Networks team and 3rd party providers
- Provide mentoring/coaching to network engineers
- Oversee the design and global implementation on multi location projects providing high and low level network designs with focus on service delivery excellence and improvements.
- Manage global design peer review forum and ensure all designs and implementations are to standard and meet a high quality standard.
- Act as the Networks change advisory board (CAB) owner and ensure all documentation is updated and version controlled
- Review the feasibility of new and existing IT projects, taking into account Inmarsat's "cloud first" approach and endorse network standards for hybrid as well as cloud integration with AWS/GCP.
- Responsible for owning network and voice operational capabilities within Inmarsat ensuring services have maximum up time and availability.
- Uses expert knowledge to lead projects for the corporate network team driving forward and supporting projects such as Datacentre as a service Cloud, network infrastructure replacements such as switches, firewalls, routers ensuring associated documentation and network diagrams are maintained and updated.
- Continue evolving the cloud first strategy bring significant knowledge and experience to ensure the best business outcomes can be achieved.
- Support the Cloud Business office in the realization of cost and value targets
- Creating and executing roadmaps that direct the movement between current and future states (services, technologies, sourcing, etc.)
- Driving significant improvement in Inmarsat's Cloud and Infrastructure Landscape over the next 2-3 years to support the Digital transformation, delivering greater resilience, agility. velocity, flexibility and major efficiency improvements.
- Planning, including capacity, demand and performance needs over a 1-5 year horizon.
- Ensure all business unit and support teams are making the right technical choices for Inmarsat's needs. Work closely with supplier and vendor management to drive the right outcomes for Inmarsat.
- Working collaboratively
- with the Cloud and Infrastructure Core Leadership Team and Product Owners to deliver business value
- with the core GroupIT product teams to ensure effective designs and application of the cloud and hosting services within Governance, ITSM and Product and Project Management Policies and best practices.
- Technical escalation point for Major Incidents and service breaches for corporate networks and voice.
- Identify and resolve problems with the services and support the resolution of problems in dependent services.
- Maintain and track environment utilization to maximize effectiveness and cost efficiency
- Maintain performance and capacity at target operating thresholds aligned to best practices.
- Interface with and provide expertise/guidance to other teams inside and outside of the Group IT organization, such as Customer Support, Operations Networks, Service Assurance and 3rd Party Vendors
- Ensure group adherence to and help mature operational processes (ITIL) and compliance controls.
- Lead problem resolution process to root cause, take initiative in identifying and fixing broken processes in the infrastructure environment.
- Ensure group compliance with all security controls and processes and adherence to security policies and standards.
- Report any potential security weakness, exposure or suspicious indications to the Security Operations team.
- Play a key stakeholder role in
- the datacenter as a service workstream
- the modern cloud and corporate network operating model
- Deliver key KPI reporting within a wider reporting remit
- Working in conjunction with the Configuration Manager play a key role in ensuring the Configuration Management Database (CMDB) is accurate and up-to-date
- Work closely with the Vendor Manager for cloud performance and SLA management
- Ensure discovery tools and patch management is maintained at the highest standards.
- Deliver high level topology and documentation material
- Manage and lead a 7+ person global team primarily based in London and St John's, Canada
- Accountable for the team's development and succession planning
- Drive towards simplification and rationalization wherever possible
- Demonstratable systems administration and datacentre experience
- Strong technical leadership experience (including project management experience)
- Proven experience leading support and strategy of an infrastructure environment
- Strong understanding of DNS, DHCP, AD
- Strong understanding of networking WAN/LAN
- Experience with security monitoring / alerting tools
- Experience in multi-datacentre and cloud environments
- Experience in successful global transformation programmes
- Experience with Security Frameworks (NIST, SSAE16 / SOC 1 Type II and ISO 27001)
- Strong experience getting the maximum value for 3rd party service providers.
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised. Our culture and ways of working
Our values define our culture and represent what we believe in. Viasat employees aspire to behaviours that support our values, which create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Customer - we provide a unique value to our customers
- Accountability - we take ownership, we deliver results, and we keep our promises
- Respect - we collaborate, we embrace and celebrate diversity and we value difference
- Excellence - we create bold solutions for our customers and put quality at the heart of everything we do
We also value and encourage a healthy work-life balance, so we offer flexible working wherever possible. Depending on the operational requirements of your job and your team, we can offer compressed hours (nine-day fortnight), hybrid office-remote working, and flexibility during your working day to take care of personal commitments. Diversity
We want the best people for the job, and we warmly welcome applications from you if you're suitably qualified and eligible, regardless of your sex, gender, age, race, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, gender identity, neurodiverse qualities, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, or maternity status.
We are signed up to the Halo Hair Code, which aims to protect employees who come to work with natural hair and protective hairstyles associated with their racial, ethnic, and cultural identities.
. click apply for full job details