Overview / Responsibilities The preferred partner for delivering digitally enabled capital investments with low carbon solutions.
Wood's Projects business unit specialises in delivering predictable and consistent results in high complexity projects that include new technology, challenging construction logistics and, or sheer scale. Just like the nature and expansiveness of our sectors, so is our Projects business, in its solutions, abilities and global track record. Across any major capital project lifecycle, we provide a full suite of solutions from programme and project management, to engineering and design, procurement, construction and project delivery.
Powered by a global team of more than 12,000 people, we deliver some of the world's boldest and most critical projects
in many diverse and evolving sectors, including:
- Upstream / Midstream / Downstream Oil & Gas
- Renewable Energy
- Mining & Minerals
- Industrials & Manufacturing
- Life Sciences
- Government services
Wood's Consulting business works hand-in-hand with the Projects business, albeit with a focus on the early phases of a development, providing direction to our Clients to help make their projects a reality.
A key part of the Consulting business is the Offshore studies team, who have a focus on both Energy Security and Energy Transition; including the decarbonisation of the traditional conventional energy sector, as well as the development of new energy projects. Prime areas of application for the team include fixed, floating and subsea developments, plus the electrification of existing assets. The Role:
We are looking for a Senior Offshore Structural Engineer on a staff basis to primarily support the Offshore Studies team with feasibility assessments and conceptual designs of offshore structures.
In addition, you will be responsible to provide and support structural engineering activities to Wood projects currently under way, as well as acting as originator for selected engineering deliverables, such as specifications, procedures, SACS computer analyses, calculations, 2D drawings, MTOs and structural design reports, whilst following all operational procedures. The role will be based in Staines.
What we can offer
- Coordinates with all disciplines (as necessary) in the preparation and development of the above
- Performs high level (concept phase) assessments of topsides and jacket requirements (size, weight) to meet the requirements of a particular development scenario.
- Performs preliminary sizing for structural members to provide preliminary input to Structural 3D and 2D modelling
- Prepares structural computer models using SACS for primary steel geometry and loadings, and undertakes structural analyses for all anticipated operating, installation, transportation, loadout and fabrication conditions
- Ensures structural compliance with structural specifications as well as applicable code requirements and national / international standards.
- Prepares structural engineering input for secondary and tertiary steel design, prepares structural design sketches for input to 3D modelling/ 2D drawing production and prepares computed aided or hand calculations for justification of structural configuration for compliance with specifications and relevant design codes
- Prepares or checks structural design reports to fully document structural primary and secondary steel design to demonstrate compliance with design codes and specifications
- Undertakes structural weight estimation for input into the project weight report
- Reviews relevant client provided and vendor data for structural implications and requirements
- Reports on work status / problem areas / needs
If all of this sounds good to you, review the requirements of the position below, then follow the link to apply and start your journey with Wood. Skills / Qualifications
- Meaningful and interesting projects delivered to leaders of industry across the energy transition, emerging and conventional energy sectors
- A caring team culture; we support each other professionally and personally, encouraging knowledge sharing across all areas of the business
- Energy Transition Academy; join a community of experts sharing your knowledge and gaining more exposure to a variety of existing and emerging energy systems - delivered by experts in their field
- Flexible working arrangements that balance client, team and individual needs offering hybrid and remote working where relevant
- Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion; we are an organisation actively committed to diversity and inclusion across our business
- Competitive renumeration package with regular reviews to ensure we are rewarding at the right level in line with the market
- Flexible benefits package inclusive of 33 days annual leave (including public holidays),plus the potential for one additional 'flex day' per month. Further benefits include a generous contributory pension scheme, private medical cover, 4x base salary life insurance; all of these and more that can be adapted to suit your own lifestyle
- Commitment to continued professional development; development plans that are tailored to your individual needs and interests
- Global connections ; join experts around the world who are at the leading edge of our industry, shaping the standards of our profession
If you don't have all the skills and experience listed, we still welcome your application. At Wood, we value diversity and equal opportunities, and we believe in accessing all the talent available. So if you have some of the necessary knowledge, skills, and experience to help us tackle the world's biggest challenges and develop your potential, please don't hesitate to apply.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in appropriate engineering subject.
- Chartered Engineer and member of appropriate engineering institution
- Experience in Jacket and topsides engineering and analysis
- SACS for jacket analysis including fatigue and USFOS for jacket analysis
- Structural integrity monitoring experience
- Open attitude & willingness to take on other tasks such as responsibility for supervision of structural design team
- Willing to be part of a team, but also have a flexible approach when required to work in small groups
- Concept and FEED experience
- Co-operative attitude
- Effective communicator
- Flexible worker
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. Diversity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.