Category: I.T. & Communications
Overview of ResponsibilitiesWho are we looking for?
We are currently seeking a Senior Software Engineer who is passionate about designing, developing, testing, and analyzing software for robotic systems of various sizes and complexities. This role involves planning and coordinating the engineering team for these robotic systems, while working with project managers as required. As a key resource on the project, you will be responsible for providing guidance, leadership, and input in planning, and stakeholders and more junior roles may come to you for advice, guidance, or feedback.
You will have strong software development experience, ideally in C++, with knowledge of Object-Oriented Principles (OOP), and be well-placed for work on a variety of different projects, systems, and implementation programming languages. Knowledge of describing, documenting, and capturing software designs so that they can be communicated to the team is also key. As this is a senior role that involves coordination, support, and technical leadership, it is required that you will have some experience of leadership or management of a team. Knowledge of robotic systems, including hardware integration, sensors, actuators and motors, control and dynamics, machine learning, and AI is also ideal.
If you are a talented Senior Software Engineer who is passionate about robotics and looking for an exciting new challenge, we encourage you to apply for this role. What will you be responsible for?
QualificationsEssential skills, experience and competence required
- Deliver the specification, design, and implementation of distributed, service-oriented web applications taking ownership to achieve quality outcomes may also be required to lead this area of work depending on the scale of the project
- Design and documentation of software systems
- Integration and control of robotics hardware and front end HMIs
- Support and provide technical leadership to other engineers and managers
- Co-ordinate the implementation of the integration with robotic and intelligent systems
- Act as key resource on projects of moderate scale and/or complexity
- Represent RACE with customers and collaborators.
- Perform business development activities including networking and writing bids
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Master's degree in Software Engineering or technical subject or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Extensive industry experience working in software engineering or related field.
- Strong programming capability to develop working, understandable software in at least one language used in relevant applications (e.g. C++, Qt, Python).
- A strong understanding of software engineering techniques and design principles including lifecycle, version control (Git, SVN etc ), and documentation.
- Experience with good development practices throughout the software development lifecycle such as version control and testing.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability to lead and function as part of a team.
- Strong ability to apply design principles such as Object Oriented design.
- Appetite and ability to learn and apply new technologies.
Additional InformationWhat we offer
- Experience with Robotics / Machine Learning / Computer Vision / Automated Planning.
- Experience of mathematical modelling and optimisation.
- Familiarity with system modelling UML/SysML beneficial.
- General interest in mobile robotics and engineering.
- Understanding of sensor fusion techniques.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture
committed to being fully inclusive
, an Employee Assistance Programme
and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options
including family friendly policies, Emergency
, Generous annual leave allowance
(30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities
, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
; Corporate bonus scheme
(up to 7% for Levels 1 - 7, as well as 3rd and 4th year apprentices) and a Relocation
allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive team with support from our 'Equality, Diversity and Inclusion' (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit . If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.